Find your voice - it matters.
Debate & Speech Academy
Fostering Debate Talent
FDT Academy is Canada’s #1 school for Debate, Speech and Model United Nations education. Founded in 2016 by coaches who have taught debate for nearly 15 years, we help young people effectively voice their opinions and discover their passion for public speaking. As one of the world’s first debate and speech academies, FDT has the institutional knowledge necessary to succeed in the debate and speech world. We know the tournaments, the organizations, the judges, and the structure. Our results speak for themselves, as FDT students have won numerous provincial, national and international tournaments around the world.
We are excited to have both new and seasoned debaters join us for group and private lessons. We foster a supportive environment that allows students to learn, develop confidence, and have fun!
WHAT SETS US APART
Why Choose FDT?
- FDT is one of the world’s most well-established debate academies, with a global community of over 350 active students and 3000 alumni.
- Success is what sets us apart, with our programs producing over 40 students who have been selected to join the Canadian National Debate and Speech teams, as well as countless others who have been accepted into Ivy League institutions.
- We boast a team of over 20 instructors, guided by a well-developed curricula that is proven to help students hone their skills.
- Unmatched dedication to families, with an administrative team that is passionate about providing students with ample, timely support.
- Superior group class ratio of 3-to-6 students and 1 instructor.
- Program packages that combine group and private lessons are customizable, and cater to a range of ages, experience levels and budgets.
Why learn debate & Speech
Benefits to Students
- Build confidence, poise and public speaking skills
- Learn to think critically and articulate your points effectively
- Explore issues from various perspectives
- Develop a broader view of the world
- Become a global citizen through international competitions
- Win awards and accolades by competing in tournaments
- Enhance your resume and prepare for your university career
"FDT Academy transformed me from a public school student with no debate experience,
to a champion debater. Regardless of whether I am delivering a research presentation to hundreds of people or interviewing for a spot at medical school, I am relying on the skills that I developed through debate."
-Amolak S. Dhillon.
What we offer students
the formal act of disagreement
Students learn how to clearly deliver an argument using evidence and persuasive speech. Debate forms a skillset that allows students to succeed in their future academic and professional careers.
the art of public speaking
From basic skills like writing speeches and presenting with confidence, to more advanced skills like dramatic interpretation and delivering impromptu speeches, FDT covers all areas of public speaking.
Model United Nations
the leaders of tomorrow
Model UN helps students establish the skills needed to simulate the operations taking place in the world’s most prestigious and powerful organization, the United Nations.
Where we are found
As Seen In...
FDT Academy’s staff and our students have been featured in various media outlets over the years. From news and network segments where we’ve showcased our public speaking and debate abilities, to radio appearances and print articles where we’ve shared our mission, were are honoured to have had these opportunities to share our story with viewers across North America.